Who are we?

18 November 2013

heart and foot?


It is a good reminder.  It is so easy to allow myself to indulge in bad stuff inside myself ... to imagine, think, feel, wish for all the things I don't do because I know they are wrong.  BUT
"Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it."
These things seem okay because nobody knows about them, but Solomon reckons that they affect what I do anyway.  But how do I look after my inner self?


Solomon doesn’t leave us without some clues.
"Keep your mouth free from perversity;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
Let your eyes look straight ahead;
fix your gaze directly before you.
Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
and be steadfast in all your ways.
Do not turn to the right or left;
keep your foot from evil."
So: I must watch what I say (and hear) because what I say affects what I think, and can be more important than what I do.  I must be careful what I allow myself to see (and read) because it will become part of who I am.  I must choose where I go based on what kind of person I want to be.  
I need to cultivate a sense of purposeful goodness.  Now that is a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment