Who are we?

06 May 2011

What am I looking for?

The urban hub seems to exist for acquisition.  We come along all the transport lines - by car, train, bus, taxi or maybe motorbike - for the express purpose of gaining or spending money, buying or selling stuff.  Claremont is a hub of luxury.
Religion can be enlisted by the acquisitive drive too; churches, mosques and other religious places can become mostly about position, personality and possessions.  
Even people genuinely searching for spiritual life can be hijacked by a vision of material ease.  After John saw his mentor take care of the crowd by feeding them, he watched the excitement of people following.  But his mentor was not impressed.  He said to these potential 'believers', "Very truly I tell you,you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the bread and had your fill.  Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life."
When I talk about spiritual life, what do I really mean?  When I seek truth, what am I really expecting?  When I follow a spiritual person, what do I really want to receive?

1 comment:

  1. but weren't the people quite desperate? Hunger and oppression mean that you grasp at straws... John's guru is challenging people to have faith in the teeth of suffering. radical.

    ReplyDelete