Who are we?

30 March 2015

What do I desire?

We all want more of something. Most of us are keen for more of lots of things. More money, more power, more honour, more fun, more energy. Occasionally I might want more of something for someone else. Perhaps a friend is underpaid and I wish their boss would give them a raise. Maybe a family member is weary and I hope that they can have a good holiday. I might see a colleague catching a minibus and think how nice it would be if they had a car. It is possible that I may even give them a lift, organise the holiday, or slip them some money! So what is it that our writer asks the God of the universe to give his readers? What he wants most for the people he is writing to is that they will “know God better”. Last time we saw that he is really glad that they do know God, but if God is God, then there is always more to be discovered. So our writer wants them to be able to do just that. However, it seems that discovering more of God is not just something that we decide to do, put in the effort and achieve. We need God to give us his Spirit: God himself to come close to us, connect with us. This is when we find, not just more about God, but more of God. Once we become aware of this it is obvious really. We get to know about someone by reading about them. We get a more first-hand experience of them by observing them. But it is only when someone shares themselves with me that I begin to know them. A person must reveal themselves if I am to relate to them deeply. This is what the writer wants for his readers (and, by extension, for us). That God will open us up to “wisdom and revelation” so that we can know him. How amazing if the first thing we want for the people we know is that they will experience relationship with God! Can I value this level of spiritual experience enough to make it my overwhelming desire for myself? The Bible: Ephesians 1:17 http://www.biblica.com/en-us/bible/online-bible/?translation=niv&book=ephesians&chapter=1

No comments:

Post a Comment