Who are we?

25 March 2015

How we feel about other people

These days we spend a lot of time keeping in touch with other people all over the world. Through Facebook, Twitter, Emails, blogs, WhatsApp and a host of other avenues we even follow people we don’t know at all. I wonder what it is we hope to hear is happening in the lives of the people we know. What has to happen in other people’s lives to make me happy?
Our writer keeps in touch with people in other cities too. In the days when a letter had to go with a person and to and fro could take months, he listens for news about people from far away and he takes the trouble to send letters. He has heard about his friends living in Ephesus and he mentions two things about them: They have faith in Jesus and they are loving towards people. It is these two things that make him happy: he says he “has not stopped giving thanks” for them. (He means thanking God.)
Sometimes it is hard to be truly happy when other people are doing well; it is easy to have that little edge of envy. But, when I am happy for them isn’t it so often for the external or material? I am glad for promotions, new houses, awards, holidays. Do I really long for friends to find spiritual life? Is my hope for my friends that they will develop more loving caring character? But our writer doesn’t stop there. He isn’t just glad they are doing well, and grateful to God for it.
He also wants good things (more good things, even better things) to happen (and keep happening) in their lives. So he tells them that he asks God to do things in their lives as well. Do I actively want good things to happen in the lives of my friends? Perhaps I am much more focused on hoping for good things to happen in my own life.

The Bible: Ephesians 1:15-16 
http://www.biblica.com/en-us/bible/online-bible/?translation=niv&book=ephesians&chapter=1

No comments:

Post a Comment