Who are we?

29 October 2011

new and different?

These days creativity is at a premium.  The person who can think up the next new thing is the winner.  Of course, another person's idea may be better, but if it doesn't happen to take off it's too bad.  Constant change can be frightening, and big corporations spend lots of money "managing" change.  Does anything remain constant?

It is amazing: however much we pride ourselves on fast-paced change, we find that change in technology doesn't seem to bring real change. 

I may connect by sms instead of telegram, but it is still me and a friend.  I may seach the web instead of the encyclopaedia, but it is still the need for information.  I may phone from the beach instead of sending a postcard, but I still want you to know about my holiday.  I may skype instead of coffee-shop, but I still need to see your face.  We all have the same needs and motivations as people 3000 years ago.

Sometimes, the more things change, the more they seem the same.
Our ancient philosopher had the same experience:  "Whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before."

No comments:

Post a Comment